King Charles to scale back cancer treatment in new year

The King has reflected on his experiences in the 22 months since he announced he would undergo treatment for an undisclosed type of cancer.

king charles iii attends advent service at westminster abbey

King Charles III has given the public a positive health update amid his cancer battle.

The monarch said his cancer treatment will be reduced in the new year because of early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to doctor’s orders.

Charles, 77, revealed the information in a recorded message broadcast on British television on Friday as part of a campaign to encourage people to take advantage of screening that can detect cancer in its early stages when it is easiest to treat.

“Early diagnosis quite simply saves lives,” the king said.

“I know, too, what a difference it has made in my own case, enabling me to continue leading a full and active life even while undergoing treatment.

“Indeed, today I am able to share with you the good news that thanks to early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to ‘doctors’ orders’, my own schedule of cancer treatment can be reduced in the new year.

“I know from my own experience that a cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming.

“Yet I also know that early detection is the key that can transform treatment journeys, giving invaluable time to medical teams – and, to their patients, the precious gift of hope.”

The recorded message gave Charles the opportunity to reflect on his experiences in the 22 months since he announced he would undergo treatment for an undisclosed type of cancer.

Charles has used his own story to highlight the need for early diagnosis and treatment. Cancer Research UK recorded a 33 per cent increase in visits to its website in the weeks after the king’s diagnosis, as people sought information about the signs of cancer.

While the palace hasn’t specified what type of cancer the king has, officials said the cancer was discovered after treatment for an enlarged prostate revealed “a separate issue of concern”.

This is a timeline of the King’s cancer treatment and how the story unfolded in the public eye.

The King leaving hospital after receiving treatment for an enlarged prostate in January 2024
The King leaving hospital after receiving treatment for an enlarged prostate in January 2024 (Reuters)

17 January 2024

Buckingham Palace said King Charles was to receive treatment for an enlarged prostate, which was found during a routine procedure. They said the condition was benign, but he will undergo a “corrective procedure”. The palace said: “In common with thousands of men each year, the King has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate.”

26 January 2024

The King arrived at the prestigious London Clinic for the procedure, where his daughter-in-law Kate was recovering after abdominal surgery the week prior.

5 February 2024

Buckingham Palace announced that the King had been diagnosed with cancer while he was undergoing a separate procedure for an enlarged prostate. He suspended his public engagements to undergo treatment. The palace did not specify what cancer he had been diagnosed with, only that it wasn’t prostate cancer.

6 February 2024

Prince Harry flew more than 10 hours from LA to see his father after the shock cancer diagnosis, with different media outlets reporting the meeting was between just 30 and 45 minutes long.

The King paused cancer treatment while on an 11-day tour of Australia and Samoa
The King paused cancer treatment while on an 11-day tour of Australia and Samoa (Aaron Chown/PA Wire)

7 February 2024

Prince William broke his silence about his father and wife’s cancer diagnoses to the public, thanking them for their kind messages.

He said: “I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you, also, for the kind messages of support for Catherine and for my father, especially in recent days. It means a great deal to us all.

“It’s fair to say the past few weeks have had a rather ‘medical’ focus. So I thought I’d come to an air ambulance function to get away from it all!”

8 February 2024

Camilla said that Charles was “doing extremely well under the circumstances, he’s very touched by all the letters and the messages the public have been sending from everywhere – that’s very cheering.”

10 February 2024

The King shared his first message since he was diagnosed with cancer, thanking well-wishers for their messages.

He said in a statement: “I would like to express my most heartfelt thanks for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received in recent days.

“As all those who have been affected by cancer will know, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement.

“It is equally heartening to hear how sharing my own diagnosis has helped promote public understanding and shine a light on the work of all those organisations which support cancer patients and their families across the UK and wider world.

“My lifelong admiration for their tireless care and dedication is all the greater as a result of my own personal experience.”

11 February 2024

The King attended a service at St Mary Magdalene Church on the Sandringham Estate with his wife Camilla.

The King has made an effort to return to regular duties while undergoing treatment for cancer
The King has made an effort to return to regular duties while undergoing treatment for cancer (Stuart Wilson/PA Wire)

21 February 2024

Then-prime minister Rishi Sunak went to Buckingham Palace and met the King for the first time since his diagnosis.

11 March 2024

The King shared a video address to mark Commonwealth Day, thanking people for their “wonderfully kind and thoughtful good wishes”.

31 March 2024

Charles made his first major public appearance since January as he attended Easter services in Windsor.

26 April 2024

Buckingham Palace confirmed the King was preparing to shortly return to public-facing duties after a period of treatment and recuperation following his diagnosis.

30 April 2024

Charles visited a cancer treatment centre in his first public royal engagement since his own diagnosis.

13 May 2024

The King gave a brief insight into his own experience of treatment while speaking to British Army veteran Aaron Mapplebeck, who had undergone chemotherapy the previous year for testicular cancer.

Mr Mapplebeck confessed he had lost his sense of taste due to chemotherapy. Charles revealed that he’d also experienced this same side effect to his own cancer treatment. Buckingham Palace have still not confirmed the details of his treatment or disclosed the form of cancer.

King Charles waves goodbye to well-wishers following a visit to the Cancer Research Centre at Ulster University, on a royal visit to Northern Ireland
King Charles waves goodbye to well-wishers following a visit to the Cancer Research Centre at Ulster University, on a royal visit to Northern Ireland (PA Wire)

15 June 2024

Charles rode in a carriage instead of on horseback, reportedly for his health, as he attended his second Trooping the Colour.

18 October 2024

The King paused his treatment during an 11-day royal tour of Australia and Samoa.

28 October 2024

The Palace said it was “working on a pretty normal looking full overseas tour programme for next year” for the monarch as he returned to duty.

20 December 2024

It was reported the King would continue his cancer treatment into 2025.

25 December 2024

The monarch offered his “heartfelt thanks” to health workers during his Christmas speech.

27 January 2025

Parkrun participants in Sandringham met with the King after running for a cancer charity.

27 March 2025

The King had to cancel his royal engagements after he experienced “temporary side effects” following cancer treatment, which required a “short period of observation in hospital”.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “His Majesty would like to send his apologies to all those who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result.”

30 April 2025

The King released a written message saying his cancer experience had brought into “sharp focus the very best of humanity”.

The message to cancer charities said: “You have my whole family’s deepest admiration and gratitude”.

He and Camilla hosted a reception at Buckingham Palace in celebration of community-based initiatives raising awareness about cancer and supporting those living with the disease.

Related Posts

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s surprising new job for first time after eviction

Since stepping back from official duties in 2019, Prince Andrew has remained a subject of public interest, particularly regarding his residence, financial arrangements, and relationship with the Royal…

Meghan Markle Accidentally Confirms Prince Harry Rumor

Public interest in the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remains high, particularly when new projects involving Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are released. Recently,…

Mystery woman in Epstein file photo with Andrew finally identified

The long-running investigation into the activities of convicted financier Jeffrey Epstein continues to generate public interest, particularly regarding individuals who had documented associations with him. Among the most widely…

‘I worked for Princess Eugenie – here’s what she’s really like behind closed doors’

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, the daughters of Prince Andrew, Duke of York, have maintained a relatively low public profile in recent months, a pattern that has…

The Royal Family Shares an Important Update on 18-Year-Old James

James Alexander Philip Theo Mountbatten-Windsor, known publicly as the Earl of Wessex, reached his 18th birthday on 17 December 2025. While this milestone is a routine transition…

Princess Diana’s Death Reexamined: Alarming New Clues Shatter the “Accident” Story!

Princess Diana’s tragic death in Paris on August 31, 1997, alongside Dodi Fayed, the son of businessman Mohamed Al Fayed, shocked the world and led to decades…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *